Tuesday, March 29, 2011

On Writing by Stephen King

I love memoirs because they lack reservation. Stephen King's is a great example. His name used to have a negative connotation for me because I started to read Misery a few years ago and it didn't hold my interest. Quite frankly, I couldn't help but think that the author must have been a creep. However, in light of this memoir, he's proven to be a pretty awesome creep. I felt fortunate to learn what he has to say about writing because every bit of it is useful. Every word was meticulously chosen to convey just the right meaning. It's like an inside look at the mind of a genius English major. Definitely worth more than eight bucks.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. I love ON WRITING because Stephen King has no reservations in regards to his language and his personal struggle with alcoholism. I had never read any of his novels before reading this, only some of his short-stories and a play or two. At first, I was hesitant to read this book in public, because I was embarrassed to let anyone see me with his big ass name in front of a book. I tend to read works of contemporary, non-commercialized authors, but this book was definitely worth the read. Like I've posted in my blog, thanks to King, I am inspired to write every day once more.

    ReplyDelete